Building up soil

I would like to know what is worm casting, espoma tone and will this help in building up my soil. what are some other things I can use that really work to make the soil better

Compost compost compost. If you can get arbor clippings/wood chips (aka, ā€œchip dropā€) delivered, thatā€™s great too.
Worm castings are just worm poo. Itā€™s that time of year where trees start dropping leaves - if you can get those and work them into your soil, that will help also.
Feeding your soil is about feeding the microbes and critters (like earthworms) that live there. Think ā€˜organicsā€™ as in, something that once grew - leaves, grass clippings (untreated with chemicals), composted manures, yard debris, etc.
It takes some time, but is well worth the effort.

1 Like

Worm castings are a concentrated soil amendment, you donā€™t need a lot. Applying compost in the spring and fall will enrich your soil in the long term and buffer your soil pH. Espoma is a company that sells organically based fertilizers. You can use with Plant or Rose Tone to feed your roses. However, the soil must be warmer for the soil microbes to break down the fertilizer into the form your rose roots can use, then available once insolution, water is the next most important ingredient needed. Mulch should also be applied around your roses, local hardwood, mulch will break down and enrich your soil too.