I just cannot find anyone who can identify these roses (correctly) ?!?!? (typo: circa 1950's)

I don’t know if this is the place, so if not, as a newbee just let me know where I can go to get these roses identified… Here is the history:

• Original Plants were in Upstate New York (Rochester area so really upstate)… and very cold, harsh winters. Circa 1050’s to 2001…
  • They lined one side of the circular driveway at the farm and grew “wild”… they grow tall so my grandfather put up trellises for the but besides that, they were pretty much left alone. A walk down that driveway was HEAVEN!!..
  • When the farm was sold in the early 2000’s I dug a couple up (they have long tap roots and propagate very well) and transplanted them to Easter Virginia. They did very well and I transplanted them to a better spot so I could see them with my morning coffee.
  • Fast forward to 2019 and I moved to north western Virginia and brought them with me. They have done very well. Some years I just let them grow out and don’t cut them back, this past year I did cut them back and they are coming back very nicely. I don’t do much with them… they seem resistant to most diseases although last year they had a bout with mites that I cured with neem oil…
  • So, does anyone know what type they are? Thanks in advance for your help!!

DD

You will need to provide many more and more detailed photos to even begin to guess. Include all parts of the plant in closeup.

Hi. The photo looks like my Rose de Rescht - a hardy rose that could survive in your cold climate.
If someone in your area has one you could compare the canes with leaves and prickles as well as the flower.
Good luck. Sally

2 Likes

I agree with Rose de Rescht!

HELLO, MY NAME IS JAMES B LOWERY. I AM A ROSARIAN IN [quote=“ddsolutions, post:1, topic:325, full:true”]
I don’t know if this is the place, so if not, as a newbee just let me know where I can go to get these roses identified… Here is the history:

• Original Plants were in Upstate New York (Rochester area so really upstate)… and very cold, harsh winters. Circa 1050’s to 2001…
  • They lined one side of the circular driveway at the farm and grew “wild”… they grow tall so my grandfather put up trellises for the but besides that, they were pretty much left alone. A walk down that driveway was HEAVEN!!..
  • When the farm was sold in the early 2000’s I dug a couple up (they have long tap roots and propagate very well) and transplanted them to Easter Virginia. They did very well and I transplanted them to a better spot so I could see them with my morning coffee.
  • Fast forward to 2019 and I moved to north western Virginia and brought them with me. They have done very well. Some years I just let them grow out and don’t cut them back, this past year I did cut them back and they are coming back very nicely. I don’t do much with them… they seem resistant to most diseases although last year they had a bout with mites that I cured with neem oil…
  • So, does anyone know what type they are? Thanks in advance for your help!!

DD

[/quote]

HELLO, THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION MAY BE FROM ORTHER BREADERS. LIKE JACKSON PERKINS OR DAVID AUSTIN.

GREENSBORO NORTH CAROLINA. THIS ROSE LOOKS LIKE ONE OF DAVID AUSTIN RED ROSES, IF I AM WRONG FORGIVE ME. REACH OUT TO JACKSON PERKINS AS WELL. LET ME KNOW.

THANK YOU, JAMES B LOWERY,

Hello JB_Lowery, I live in Europe and am mainly active in the Rose Hybridizers Association forum. As I also hybridize with Historical Roses I would like to try to help with the identification of this beautiful rose.

However, I agree with Don, it would really need more photos of the traits such as flower color variation, spination, sepals, stipules, underside of the leaves and the rose hip, if any possible, for a more accurate identification. In addition, the important information of whether it is a single or repeat-flowering rose is of course a fundamental criterion to the first classification. Another indicator would be whether the rose is fragrant or not.

Based on the photo that you have kindly provided, I assume that this is a Historic Rose. The leaves do not suggest a Modern Rose. Nevertheless, I have my reservations as to whether it can be assigned to Rose de Rescht.

1 Like

You might find help in the books Classic Roses by Peter Beales and Botanica’s Roses, the Encyclopedia of Roses, The Graham Stuart Thomas Rose Book, 100 Old Roses for American Garden by Clair Martin, The Ultimate Rose Book by the American Rose Society. Also contact a local rose society’s consulting Rosarian. For sure, we need more information about your rose. Does it rebloom, what does the fragrance remind you of, how tall and wide does it grow, lots or few thorns? There are many roses that it could be e.g. Baronne Prevost, Madame Isaac Pereire, Reine Des Violettes, Yolanda D’ Aragon, American Beauty, La Reine, etc.

Rose de Rescht is a small growing rose, so it is doubtful it is this one.

1 Like