Identifying roses with unknown name

Often new members bring a rose or a photo of a rose and ask for identification. How do you go about the research to identify? In the old days I would just dig through my print rose books, rather time consuming. How do you do it? I will attach the rose in question just in case you visually recognize this one. Rose growing in Western Washington, zone 8B.

Pretty rose! Can you tell us about the growth habit of the plant please

1 Like

Good question. Typically I try to find out the growth habit, size of bloom, how many bloom cycles, approximately how old it is, then go through old rose catalogs that I have for that area during that time if known. Next would be any unique characteristics you can search, like thornless, or spiked hips. If it is a climber for example, I have dozens of books on climbers and ramblers. Some Districts will have the best roses for their area, like we have in NCNH, which could help. Steve

2 Likes

If you know when a rose was planted or approximately how long it’s been growing in that spot, that will narrow the candidates. Most people planted roses when they were relatively new introductions because that’s what was available at most nurseries. Then, pursue what others have suggested.

2 Likes

It reminds me of American Pillar… depending on its habits, growth etc.

2 Likes

Looks like R. rosa rugosa,

Last night at the meeting, I suggested this name to the young rosarian. I think you are correct. I have not grown this one but it seems like a good ID. Thanks!

1 Like

I grew it and also propagated it from seed, its a lovely OGR.

1 Like