Looking for an orange climber

Asking for a friend, she is looking for an orange climber, winter hardy (zone 5), disease resistant, repeat bloom. ‘Above All’ and ‘Westerland’ have not done well in this area for me. I might add, although she gardens and is a good gardener, she does not have much rose experience. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Hello Linda,
For an orange climber in my garden, I picked ‘Crown Princess Margareta’ (CPM). I live in zone 5b with an avg snowfall of 250” near Lake Superior (this year we barely topped 100”). My CPM is own-root & will be entering its 3rd season this year. Although my rose garden has not been ‘woken up’ yet (4/18), the 6’ canes are green with new growth beginning to appear. Its first 2 years it has grown nicely, putting out several basal canes & some nice medium orange flowers with a fruity scent. This year, I am confident it will be taking a nice leap in growth, with thicker basal canes & flower production.
Since she is a young rose, for winterization, I cover the base of the rose with 12” of soil/compost & wrap the canes with a double layer of burlap all the way to the ends of the canes, tying the canes to my moon gate support for wind protection. My hope is in subsequent years, as the new more mature, thicker canes emerge, using burlap will not be needed for winterization.

3 Likes

Did you want orange, like the lovely and elegant Crown Princess Margareta, or did you want ORANGE like Tangerine Skies?

I grow a Tangerine Skies in zone 7 b -ish, eastern Long Island, NY, (winters are not brutally cold; just an occasional freeze for a few days; summers are HUMID!!) and it is very happy. deep green leaves, brilliant color, good repeat.

Westerland is gorgeous, but, touchy, from what I have read, especially the comment “does not travel well” which I interpreted as “really depends on the chemical composition of the soil”. Some sites list it as shrub, not climber.
Maybe they need some time to establish.

What was your issue/experience with Westerland? Didn’t repeat well?
Would love to hear experiences from others, too.

Garden Sun another one to look at: Orange apricot blend, the bloom changes colors as it opens, from darker to lighter: not a solid color, but, all the colors blending on each bloom. Might tend more towards yellow than orange when warm, typical of orange blends.

Always fun, and fascinating. Large climbers are my favorite. I started growing climbers to hide the ugly house so I wouldn’t have to do a renovation. Worked for a while, but a freeze and a flood ended that for that location.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions.
I have seen gorgeous Westerland in my area. However for me, two plants, different years, similar location just failed the thrive. Thanks again, Linda K

1 Like

Thank you for your email, Melissa! It is a beauty!
Linda

Thank you for your email, Spencer,
We are growing zone 5-6. I should have included that in my first email. I love your suggestions with CPM probably being the best choice for our area and my friend that is looking for an orange rose.

I have had two Westerland. Both failed to thrive and eventually died. Maybe my soil? As much as I amend, it seems to return to thick clay wet soil. Some roses can handle it, but many can’t. I am not blaming the rose.

Our weather here is gradually getting milder and the growing zones are adjusted from time to time. Our biggest issues in the spring seems to be temp swings from 78 degrees to 35 degree in the same day or 24 hours periods. The poor plants are so confused! Not just roses but everything in the yard, including me.

Thanks again,
Linda K

I second this! Had her at my door and back yard in San Antonio and in a year she was 12 to 15 feet tall and gorgeous blooms