Propogation for Beginners

Wondering about rooting Powder and the rules on propagation. I’ll try to keep the questions organized.

First Question: Photos attached of two varieties of rooting Powder used by myself (Bonide) and a friend (Hormex). The difference I can see of the two is that one says for ‘difficult’ plants with 1.6% active ingredient, and the other is only 0.1% active ingredient. Which is optimal for roses?

Second Question: We were discussing if gel rooting hormone might be better, has anybody used this or does anyone have a favored gel brand?

Third Question: I know that selling propagated plants is illegal if they are still patented (correct?). I don’t want to be illegal, but I love to snip and create more of my plants. Where are the rules for this kind of thing found, or how do we check which roses are patented and which are ‘public domain’?

Other photo of Hormex

Hi! I had the opportunity to visit with John Moe yesterday and he shared with me that he uses Clonex gel and then Root Riot which looks like small plugs into which you insert the cutting after dipping in Clonex.

Yes - you should not root cuttings from patented roses. Asexual propagation of patented plants is illegal. And we want to protect and support our rose hybridizers so they bring us more beautiful roses!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Any thoughts on how to research patented vs. not regarding the rose varieties?

You can Google the rose name under Google Patents or you can look it up on Help Me Find-Roses. If the information has been provided via either the patent or ARS publication, it has been entered there. Personally, I have always preferred Dip’n Gro liquid, mixed to the medium concentration. I’ve found it works well for roses, hibiscus sinensis, a number of ceanothus and many other plants I’ve wanted to root.

1 Like

Yes it is illegal to clone/propagate patented roses for any purpose, including self use. Patented rose can be used if one is pollinating to create a new rose. Patents can be searched on Roses, Peonies, Clematis and everything rose, peony and clematis related., google or the US Patent and Trademark website.

1 Like