Red Roses for February

What are your favorite red roses for the garden? Mine include Mr Caleb and Veterans Honor

1 Like

I love ‘Grand Amore’ .

1 Like

My favorite REDS are Kentucky Derby, Jennifer Hart, Scarlet Knight, Europeana, Madame Delbard, Crimson Bouquet, Happy, and Rocket.

1 Like

Mr. Caleb, Black Magic and Daddy Frank are some of my favorite red roses

1 Like

My favorites are Red Intuition, Let Freedom Ring, Black Magic, Mr. Caleb.

1 Like

I grow a lot of red roses that are very good in my area such as Veteran’s Honor, Canyon Road, Europeana, and Oh My!

But my absolute favorite red rose is Mister Lincoln! It grows huge, has huge velvety red flowers and is one of the most intensely fragrant roses in the garden. It is also shade tolerant!

2 Likes

I like Mr Lincoln too but doesn’t it seem to be prone to black spot?

1 Like

I love my red roses, Firefighter, Sweet Spirit and Veterans Honor.

1 Like

My favorite red HTs are ‘Veterans Honor’, and ‘Let Freedom Ring’. Shrub:’Linda Campbell’, ‘oso Easy Double Red’. And, ‘James Mason’ a hybrid Gallica that only blooms once in the spring but is knock down gorgeous.

1 Like

Mister Lincoln does get some Blackspot especially in my humid climate but it is manageable. I grew Mister Lincoln for many years without spraying my roses before I started exhibiting and Mister Lincoln was just fine with Blackspot as long as the infected leaves were removed as soon as they were seen. Mister Lincoln is so vigorous that there a simple method is usually enough to end Blackspot on the plant.

1 Like

I used to grow Mister Lincoln and yes he does get Black Spot but not nearly as bad as some HTs but he is susceptible. That is why I bought Sweet Spirit- resistance to Black Spot. We will see how Sweet Spirit comes through our hot and humid summers.

1 Like

Red roses in our garden that do really well - Mr. Caleb, Kardinal, Black Magic, Peak Performance, and Olympiad. They are usually very happy and prolific bloomers. Occasionally in the spring we get a little powdery mildew, but they make it through the heat of the summer really well.

1 Like

Mr Caleb is a real favorite in my garden - stunning blooms!

1 Like

My favorite reds are Black Magic, Veteran’s Honor, and Daddy Frank. I recently planted Mr. Caleb and Rocket and have high hopes for these too!

Hi Diane, Mister Caleb is a beauty! I went to Desert Rose Societies member Hal Reynolds garden 2 weeks ago and made a list of 5 roses I want to plant. Mister Caleb is the only one I can’t seem to locate. Any clues where I may look? I’m in Cathedral City CA.

Thanks!
Don :rose:

Roses Unlimited has it for sale: Hybrid Teas / Grandifloras – Roses Unlimited

I got mine from Steve Singer at Wisconsin Roses but it looks like he is sold out of them for the year.

Firefighter,Olympiad my favs

If you can find one, I highly recommend my best red rose – Perfectly Red. I bought it as a maiden from Wisconsin Roses (Budded on multiflora) and by the end of that very first year it was full size. It’s a vigorous grower and bloomer and outstanding as a garden rose. The surprise is that the blooms often have exhibition form. Fragrance would be deemed ‘moderate’ in a rose catalog but I would call it mild. Not widely available although it should be - it’s an underrated HT from Keith Zary, formerly of Jackson & Perkins.