Soil Improvements

Thanks for the followup and I will have to take a look at Pavlis’ book

@Earthworm , we had a chip drop recently… and for those who don’t know, the chips are free (at least in North Georgia). Upon examining the drop, it was largely arbor vitae…lots of evergreen “foliage”, versus hardwood that we’re used to. Is that good, bad, or otherwise to use around roses? Thanks…

@Jill_Barnard
I found this: https://cesantaclara.ucanr.edu/files/238922.pdf

and I also found something brief about the waxy type coating on arborvitae foliage needs to break down before using, but I could not find the entire answer nor the original question.

Based on my interpretation of the link I attached, I would use it, but probably not very thick.

Thanks, Earthworm! Our chip pile has been “resting” for two weeks, so it looks a lot less green… we’ll use it sparingly as you suggested, and cover it with hardwood chips later.

1 Like

I’m sure this is common/obvious, but save your earth worms!

I’m lucky to have a very forested, rich soiled yard with plenty of ‘duff’. Anytime im making a new bed or digging in the ground for whatever reason, I keep a solo cup nearby and pick up all the worms I find. They get to hang out in my cold compost bin (they definitely bread in there… :face_with_peeking_eye:) until im planting a rose, and then they go right back into the soil with the compost.

Not rocket science, but just some garden harmony practice if you dont already!

4 Likes

Should one be concerened about what may have been sprayed on these trees or any diseases they mat have had for the chips?

Good question. In all my reading I’ve not come across anything that addresses that possibility.
I would think if any spraying was done it would have been to combat disease or insects. Without knowing what chemical was used, you can’t know the residual life.
Personally I wouldn’t worry about it.

Leaf compost from the two trees’ (Oak and Sycamore) on my property. My soil is happy and my roses are happy. I also use Espoma Rose Tone or Plant Tone (1/2 cup per bush on the first and fifteenth of each month during the growing season).

1 Like