Use of Pre-emergent

When do you apply pre-emergent in the spring. I must be doing it to late as I still struggle to control weeds!

This is an additional question, rather than an answer to Diane’s question… What brands or types of pre-emergent can we use around roses, that won’t harm the bush? We have lots of grasses that invade our beds…

I have used Preen in the past with no harm to roses. Currently I use Snapshot in my rose beds as well as other garden areas. Of course the trick is getting it applied before the weed seeds germinate. After that happens you have to switch to other products.

1 Like

I guess I need to ask about the timing in North Georgia to apply the product. Does anyone know that answer?

According to the supplier of Preen preemergent weed preventer, application should be made after ground has thawed sufficiently for the product to be watered in without runoff.

2 Likes

Hi Diane, I use Monterey’s Weed Impede. I apply it after the first rains (Halloween in our area-North San Francisco) then water it in or allow rains to get it to soak in at least 1/2 inch into the ground within 60 days. That gives me 6-8 month’s coverage for 98% of lots of weeds. I use 1/3 cup to one gallon of water in a 2 gallon sprayer and walk spraying all of the ground around the plants. It doesn’t bother the bulbs. But you must not disturb the ground. It will allow any seeds that blown in to germinate. Karen Anne McCann[quote=“DianeS, post:1, topic:68, full:true”]
When do you apply pre-emergent in the spring. I must be doing it to late as I still struggle to control weeds!
[/quote]

strong text

1 Like