Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the rose forum

My name is Christine Gum and I am currently the President of Asheville Blue Ridge Rose Society. I grow about 100 + roses of all types in Asheville, North Carolina and 60 David Austins and hybrid teas in Elberton Georgia. This way I get two springs and two first blooms!

Hi, I am Beth Van Boxtel from San Diego, CA. I’m 39 years old (and one of the younger, new generations of Consulting Rosarians) I have 170 roses and I have exhibited most classes of roses for the past 7 years in the local rose shows. One of my mentors was Bob Martin, and I have about 15-20 of his old roses. I was an ARS Rising Star in 2019, and I volunteer with the San Diego Rose Society as a webmaster and board member. I am also a Master Gardener.

Hello, my name is Craig England Jr. I am 43 years old and an ARS Consulting Rosarian. I am the Lead Horticulturist in Rose Garden, Floral Walk, and Amphitheatre at Red Butte Garden in Salt Lake City. I have worked in my current position at this botanical garden since 2019. I had a private, bicycle-based, gardening and design service that I owned and operated in Berkeley/Oakland, CA for ten years in my twenties and thirties. I grew up in Wisconsin and got my undergraduate degree in Environmental Design at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Elizabeth Coleman. I am a member of the Birmingham Rose Society in Birmingham, Alabama. I grow over 130 roses of almost every class. I enjoy growing and showing roses, hanging out with rose friends, traveling, and teaching. I am excited to join this community!

2 Likes

Welcome! Do you have roses blooming now in the South?

Thank you! My Climbing Pinkie has a few blooms, and my mini Pierrine bloomed yesterday! I have lots of buds! I anticipate a stellar rose season here in central Alabama! The weather has cooperated this year!

1 Like

Pierrine was a favorite of mine when I started growing roses. What a wonderful miniature rose - I need to find that one again.

1 Like

I recently bought mine from K and M Roses, so they should have it. It is a pretty rose!

I’m Michael Braun and I live in Fort Worth, Texas. I belong to both the Fort Worth Rose Society and the Dallas Rose Society. I am a Master Rosarian and a Horticulture Judge. I’ve been in Texas for 3 years now and still learning how to grow roses in this climate versus the one I came from in Central California. After growing over 300 roses in my yard in Fresno, CA, I’ve cut it down to about 150 in my yard here in Fort Worth. I grow all types and love to exhibit roses and judge rose shows. Very interested in ways to combat blackspot and Rose Rosette Disease.

1 Like

Hi Michael - I have seen many posts with your roses on Facebook. Welcome to the rose forum!! This is the place to post your questions as a topic and enjoy the feedback and comments from fellow rosarians.

1 Like

Greetings from Friday Harbor WA! I moved here last August and bought a house with beautiful gardens in the front and back yards, but no roses. (Gasp!) I am going to change that soon, as I have just purchased my first 5 rose bushes.

I lived in Phoenix for more than 40 years and was a member of the Phoenix Rose Society. I became a Consulting Rosarian in early 2023. Now I am learning about growing roses in the Pacific Northwest and plan to join one of the local rose societies soon. Any tips are certainly welcome.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! It is nice to see you jumping right in with comments.

1 Like

Nice to meet you! I am just a bit south on Kitsap Peninsula. Do you have a rose society on the islands?

Nice to meet you, too! Thanks for reaching out.

We don’t have a rose society here. Not sure how many people grow roses here because of the deer. Ha. I looked at a few of the societies in WA, but wouldn’t be able to attend meetings off-island. So I am going to join the Seattle Rose Society because they have meetings on Zoom. That way I can learn from others about growing roses here. It would be more fun to attend in person, but that doesn’t seem practical.

Hi Craig - welcome to the rose forum! I am from Wisconsin too and live just west of Milwaukee. Nice to meet you!

I also belong to Seattle Rose Society and attend by Zoom to avoid ferry costs and getting home past midnight after a meeting. Zoom keeps us connected as does Go To Webinar programs and now this forum.

1 Like

My name is Melanie. I’ve been growing roses for over 25 years in Northern Virginia. I have a small garden of 30 roses now. Almost exclusively modern roses, I do have one Moss smile:

Master Consulting Rosarian
Recipient of ARS Bronze Medal
Recipient of Potomac Rose Society Gold Medal
Past President of Potomac Rose Society
Past Board Member of Arlington Rose Foundation

My name is Ryan Regehr. I live in Chandler AZ and I have 170 roses in my garden. I am a Consulting Rosarian, working on achieving Master Rosarian.
I love this hobby and enjoy exhibiting but sharing my garden with others is my passion. If you are ever in AZ you are welcome to my garden.
Great to be part of this community.

Hi Melanie - welcome to the Rose Forum! I look forward to your comments and posts. Thank you for joining our community. Diane