Introduce Yourself

Hi Ryan - thank you for joining our community! I am sure you will have some tips for many on growing roses in your hot climate! Diane

Howdy Diane and others! I am Robert Stroud and am a newbie to rose gardening. We live in the Texas Panhandle (zone 7a). My wife has grown roses somewhat casually for years but I became interested last year when a neighbor’s renovations threatened to eliminate an older rose garden with 50ish plants. Last fall, I transplanted as many as I could take - approximately 15 - and arranged homes for many of the others. We had a mild winter and I am pleased to report that all the transplants are budding. As this is all new to me, I am learning quickly but would love to ask questions about my new hobby. I do not know much about any of the roses but am eager to learn and dedicated to seeing these amazing plants thrive. Thanks to all - looking forward to gaining knowledge via this forum.

2 Likes

Hi Robert - so glad you have joined our community! There are many experienced rose gardener members on the forum and I am sure we can help to answer your questions. Glad to hear the new roses are doing well. We had a mild winter here in Wisconsin as well and my roses are looking great!

Hi! I’m Lilias, and I live in Maine, zone 5b. I just finished pruning my 165 roses yesterday and plan to give some alfalfa today!

I talk roses and books on my Instagram account and love to follow other accounts: garden_read

:rose::rose::rose:

Hello, My name is Sandra K Sullivan. I am a rose lover and currently have 60 roses in my front yard. I am also a published author and my love of roses is in a cozy murder mystery titled “Murder Picks a Rose.” This novel is about the creation of world’s first true blue rose.

1 Like

Hi! Excited to be here! My name is Anu, I live out in California in the SF East Bay and work full time. My husband and I own a small business and we have two small children and six chickens. I starting growing roses in 2018 and I have about 40 roses. I just joined ARS this year so I do believe I am a baby. Looking to grow, learn more and find people who want to talk about roses because my friends and family are getting weary. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi Anu - great to meet you!! Thanks for joining the ARS Forum and The American Rose Society. I am sure you will enjoy being part of our rose growing community!

Hi Sandra - thank you for joining the Forum - what kind of roses do you like to grow?

Hi Lilias - you have a large rose collection! What types are your favorite?

Hi Diane! Kordes seem to do the best in my garden because of the amount of rain we’ve been getting; they’re not nearly as susceptible to bs as other roses. I love roses of unusual colors, too. I have so many pinks and peaches, I tend to look for color that are not as common. With BIG blooms when possible :grin:

Hi! I am Suni Bolar. I garden in USDA zone 6b in NJ. I grow all classes of roses and I am a Master Consulting Rosarian with the American Rose Society. In the past, I have served as the Vice-President of the Jersey Shore Rose Society for many years. This is an exciting time in the rose world as breeders are working very hard to come out with disease resistant roses which a home gardener can plant and enjoy without too much fuss. The key to success is to pick the right variety suitable for your zone. Joining a local rose society or the American Rose Society and having access to all their resources will help greatly in creating your dream rose garden.

1 Like

Hi Diane
I grow everything from Rosa Mundi to David Austin English roses, teas, floribundas, miniatures and a Fourth of July. In my book, available on Amazon, the main character lives at her grandparents rose garden created during the Gold Rush in Placerville. Old Hangtown.

Sandra

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum Suni!!

Hi Carolyn - welcome to our rose community! That is a lot of mini’s - do you have some favorite sources to buy them?

My more recent purchases are from Rogue Valley Roses. In the past I have bought some from Burlington Nursery (Leong Burlington). We don’t have a lot of luck getting roses from K & M out here in California. I have also gotten some at rose auctions.

2 Likes

Good morning, I am Holly Hagy, a CR now living in the Texas Hill Country but formerly of the Santa Barbara/Ventura Rose Societies. I am now a member of the San Antonio Rose Society.
It is a real challenge learning to grow roses in the Texas weather and soil after having lived in an ideal, mild, Mediterranean climate for decades! But, I am determined to do it and find a way!
I LOVE ROSES and I love being in rose societies…I love talking roses with like minded folks, growing them, smelling them, everything roses!
My biggest issue are the danged chilli thrips…I didn’t used to ever spray my roses but now I will be spraying with spinosad.
Excited for this forum and continuing to get to know the rose folks across the US and beyond!
Happy Friday everyone!:cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom:

1 Like

I am Mark Davis and live in suburban Chicago. I have been growing roses for nearly 35 years and maintain a garden of 222 roses, mostly hybrid teas and floribundas but also some modern shrubs and a climber. I grow roses for the pure enjoyment of it. My favorite roses are Brigadoon, Marijke Koopman, Oh My! and Ring of Fire.

3 Likes

Hi there! I am Kay Jelten, a CR living not too far from Elk Grove, CA. I’m active in both Sacramento Rose Society, and Sierra Foothills Rose Society. Never thought I would grow roses, but Double Delight changed my mind when I became intoxicated with her fragrance and color combination. Now, 17 years later, I grow close to 100 roses with as many fragrant varieties as will grow well in my hot & often windy climate. Because I like to exhibit, I do have some unscented good lookers too.

3 Likes

Hi Cindy/cbs! Welcome to the ARS rose forum. Hope you enjoy the discussions. I am in South Carolina (zone 8A/B near the coast) but my hubby is a native Tar Heel. Growing roses here is very different from growing roses in NJ. A lot more humid and hot down here!

2 Likes

Hi there,my name is Jo and I’m growing my about 170 beauties of different classes in humid and very warm Buford GA. Moved to US from northern Italy 10 years ago and from high desert of Bend Oregon to GA 2.5 years ago.
My last night’s dream was Precious Dream blooms without any proliferation :crazy_face::joy:.
P.S love to be here!

4 Likes