Introduce Yourself

Hi Mark - thank you for joining our ARS community! I live a bit north of you, between Madison and Milwaukee. So much the same climate but I think you get more snow. Ring of Fire is one of my favorite HT’s!

Hello,
David from Massachusetts,Master Rosarian and judge.
I take care of 45 rose gardens.

1 Like

HI David - welcome to the ARS Rose Community! That must keep you busy caring for all those rose gardens. Thank you for sharing your rose knowledge.

Hello! My name is Kelly Savas and I’m from
Piedmont,OK. I’ve had roses for a few years but made an actual rose garden in my backyard last spring. I added about 60 roses to it. :blush:

1 Like

Hi Kelly - thank you for joining our community! Sounds like you have a beautiful rose garden. What type of roses do you like to grow?

Holly, I just moved out of central Texas back to Kansas. If you haven’t, this spring check out the Antique Rose Emporium north of Brenham, TX. Nice place to spend the afternoon looking and shopping. Its not a store, but more of an outdoor experience. I have bought many of their roses online. Also remember you are very close to the Blue Bell ice cream factory in Brenham!

1 Like

Very glad to see this forum. Member of the ARS and the Kansas City Rose Society. CR to be, maybe next spring. Most of my rose experience has been in Texas over the past 35 years. However we just moved north to the Kansas City area. Now looking for growing differences between the two areas. I am also migrating to a more naturalistic design approach vs. a formal rose garden approach. Need to learn what works and does not work in the KC climate. Thanks.

2 Likes

The Kansas City Rose Society is a fantastic group - you will learn a lot from them about growing roses in your new climate. It is also the goal of this forum to be able to connect people with questions and answers. Thanks for joining!

1 Like

Hybrid tea, grandiflora, and English. I’d love to start growing old roses and get into rose preservation :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi Kelly - welcome to the Rose Forum! You may have heard about the ARS Initiative to preserve the Anne Belovich’s collection of rambler roses. ARS has 350 varieties, mostly in nursery’s on the gardens in Shreveport, LA. It is the largest collection in the US!

2 Likes

You’ll love the KC Rose Society!

1 Like

Hello, sorry I did not find this topic Introduce Yourself earlier, I should have started here. Thank you for your very kind messages, but I am probably not the right person to be a member here as I am French and live in Southern France. But I am happy to share photos of my roses if that’s useful, I grow a mixture of old classics and new varieties. Scent is essential. I make rose syrup using the sun heat. I would love some help in identifying one rose that has been baffling me for years. Thank you again !
Cécile

Cecile,

My family if origin is from Southern France a little farm called Benibes in a town called Feas.

Post your photos and people here will try to identify.

Welcome, we all love roses too and I agree scent is essential!

Gabrielle nee’ Domenge

Hi Cecilia - I find it very interesting to see the roses grown in various climates and areas around the world. Your experiences growing roses in France will be of interest to many and we are glad you are part of the ARS Rose Forum!

Hello, my name is Iliana Okum and I am a member of the West Jersey Rose Society. I am a Master Rosarian and an Arrangement And Horticulture Judge. I think this is a great way to share across the country what is happening in our own societies. We are having our ROSE SHOW on JUNE 8th in MAPLE SHADE , NJ. Everyone is welcome. Our roses are looking great this year.

Add i<div d

Add images

ata-theme-slick="1">

Add images

mages

Hi Illiana- glad you are enjoying the Rose Forum and I hope you have a fabulous rose show this weekend! Looking forward to pictures and best of luck!

HELLO, MY NAME IS JB LOWERY. I AM A ROSARIAN FROM GREENSBORO NC I HAVE 32 ROSES. THEY RANGE FROM VETERANS HONOR, MR LINCOLN, BETTY WHITE, QUEEN ELIZABETH. QUEEN ELIZABETH HAS BAD PROBLEMS WITH BLACK SPOT BADLY. I AM NEW TO THIS PAGE; I CAN USE SOME HELP ON MY TOPICS/[quote=“DianeS, post:1, topic:79, full:true”]
Hi. My name is Diane Sommers, current president of The American Rose Society. I live in Wisconsin and currently grow over 250 roses of all classes
[/quote]

Hi JB - Welcome to the ARS Rose Forum! Black spot is a fungus that is naturally present in various climates. Rose varieties have different resistant qualities and perhaps you are experiencing that with Queen Elizabeth, a lovely grandiflora, having more problems than your other roses. Black spot forms when water sits on the leaves for a minimum 4-6 hours. While we cannot control Mother Nature, you can control when you may water your plants. Watering in the morning or afternoon allows the leaves to dry off with sun and wind, minimizing the chance of black spot. I spray to prevent black spot and mildew beginning in the spring to control and keep my roses healthy and clean. In the end, you may eventually decide to replace the bush with a resistant plant. Roses introduced in the market in the past few years often have superb disease resistant qualities

Hello JB and welcome!

A simple thing I have done to prevent (or lessen) Blackspot is to clean out the very bottom of the bush. Usually there is a lot of non-productive growth located near the bud union and very low on the larger canes. I recommend removing all foliage that is within about 6 to 8 inches from the soil. This will improve air flow where the rose needs it most. Some rosarians don’t like this look (i.e., rose has “bare legs”) but it will help prevent Blackspot I promise you.

Hi everyone. Steve Arrowood from the Carolina District here. Made my first post tonight but have been reading the forums for a while. Great and interesting reading. I grow about 300 plants with a mix of HT’s. Floribundas, Mini-floras and Minis. Have a few scattered David Austins and Climbers. I like to exhibit and tend to grow what exhibits well along with some old favorites from
my early rose growing days like First Prize, Mr. Lincoln, etc. I also collect old ARS publications and would like to start a thread which would help us book collectors find our wants. Right now I have the ARS magazines since 1949 but have hit a wall in finding anything earlier than that. Have all the annuals but need to upgrade condition on the early ones form 1916, 17 and 18. What do I do?