Introduce Yourself

Welcome Steve! Thanks for the intro. Hope you find the topics helpful and will comment on many.

Thanks for the welcome Elena.

Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum!!

With respect to previous American Rose editions, I know that from time to time people decide to reduce their “stuff” with the magazines being one of them. I suggest to let people know of your interest

I know that many have captured previous editions of the Annuals through Ebay - that might be something to check out. I was just looking and there are a number of them there.

The ARS sometimes has multiple copies as well - so you might want to call them

Diane

Hi all, just found this thread but I have made a few other posts.

My name is Ariel and I am a newbie to roses up here in the Pacific Northwest for the last 2-3 years. Growing up, I remember my mother told me never to grow roses because they were too difficult and always had diseases! :joy: To be fair, when she would have been trying/buying roses, disease resistance was likely not as high a priority as it is now. You can imagine her surprise when I told her I was getting into roses and had joined the ARS!

Now, I have around 20 roses and enjoy doing what I affectionately call ‘the rose walk’ just about every day. I don’t have favorites yet, but the roses I tend to buy are the roses that are just a little bit funky (color/shape/size), however, the ones that I fall for are ones that I never expect such as Ingrid Bergman, or more recently Moonlight in Paris, and the mini- Innocence. I love the beauty and I love the expectation of a new bud.

Glad to have this forum because I come up with new questions almost every day!

1 Like

Hi Jason! Cyndy Scalf here, we met in Winston Salem in January at the Convention. I was selling Old Garden Roses…
Anyway, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your program yesterday. You were very informative and engaging and I was appreciative of all of the information you gave regarding container roses. Thank you for sharing your expertise with us all,
Regards,
Cyndy Scalf
Rosings Nursery

Thank you for the comment Candy - I also found Jason’s program quite interesting and I am going to change my ways a bit regarding my container growing. We will have this up on the ARS Youtube channel in about a week for those not able to attend last Saturday

Hi all. My name is Ken Wilkinson. I live in the FAR N.E. corner of GA. in a little town called Cornelia. I started growing roses in the mid 1970’s in S.E. FL. No idea what I was doing but they grew and bloomed. Moved to Central Fl.(Winter Haven) in 1980 and planted a small garden and it flourished. Was introduced to the ARS and was a member of the Winter Haven Rose Society and the Lakeland Rose Society. Harold Baker introduced me to rose exhibiting in the late 1980’s and I was hooked. Moved to Port St. Lucie in 1998 and put in a garden of about 160 bush’s. Became a member of the Greater Palm Beach Rose Society. Then 3 hurricanes went over my home in 13 months. Most roses survived but there was no way I was going to retire and have to put up with these storms. In 2008 we relocated to our present home at the foot of the Smoky Mountains. This was a whole new ball game for me. It actually gets cold here during the winter. Most of the roses I loved to grow in FL. could not survive the winters. My current garden is 115 bush’s of all types. Yes, I still exhibit my roses. I love telling people how easy it is to grow good roses.

Hi Ken - welcome to the rose forum. So glad you have joined our rose community - your experience over the years in multiple locations will be valuable to others! Have a great day!